Concluding our quick review of the state party platform, the next section is called “ENHANCING EDUCATION”:
“Illinois must continuously strive to do better in educating our children. Illinois Republicans call on the education system of our state to deliver results for the vast sums of taxpayer dollars annually invested in the schools from the federal, state and local levels.
All children in our educational system should have access to a quality education which puts the students’ interests first, and no child should be forced to attend schools that do not educate…
We strongly support the rights of parents to direct the education of their children, whether by charter schools, private schools, home education or by choosing public schools which will best further their children’s future prospects.”
It’s worth noting yet again that 24 of the 70 Republican members of the General Assembly just voted against allowing poor children to escape their failing schools.
The next section is “RESPECTING CITIZENS BY LIMITING GOVERNMENT”:
“Illinois Republicans take note of the ringing declaration of the late President Ronald Reagan, speaking in 1988 to students at Moscow State University: ‘Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority of government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious.'”
Here are some of the bullet points that follow:
- We call on the Governor and the General Assembly to abolish the state death tax.
- The Republican Party of Illinois condemns the efforts of Illinois Democrats to graduate the state income tax.
- We call on the Governor and the General Assembly to meet the constitutional obligation of a balanced budget…
- We call on the Congress to replace the federal income tax with a simpler, fairer, more affordable alternative.
- We call on the Congress to reform the Social Security system – before it’s too late.
- Alarmed at growing predictions that Democrats in the General Assembly are planning to hike the state’s individual and corporate income taxes – most likely after the 2008 election – Illinois Republicans stand united against any such increase.
Next is health care:
ENHANCING HEALTH CARE FOR ILLINOIS CITIZENS
“To prevent health care from being bogged down in the morass of government bureaucracy, free market solutions must be fostered for delivery of affordable, accessible, quality health care to Illinois citizens. Illinois Republicans reject the socialized medicine schemes being promoted by our two United States Senators and by majority Democrats in Springfield.”
Again, here are a few examples of the bullet points that follow:
- Health care policies should: Encourage competition among insurers and increase the availability of insurance coverage opportunities Offer nationwide portability to breadwinners who need to change jobs or move;
- Foster accessibility by lowering costs and putting individuals and families in charge of their own healthcare decisions;
- Enhance accountability and consumer choice by requiring doctors to publish their fees…
The remaining sections are titled “REFORMING OUR CIVIL JUSTICE SYSTEM,” “PROMOTING ILLINOIS AGRICULTURE,” and “PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT.” Click here to read the text that follows those headings.
Here is how the platform closes:
CALL TO ACTION
“Illinois Republicans call on all citizens of Illinois to join us in restoring to Illinois government the principles enunciated in this Platform, principles which have guided our Party and which motivate us to active involvement in the political arena.
Above all, our Party is poised to replace the current corrupt leadership which the Democratic Party continues to offer this state.
Our Platform offers real policies for change, policies which would actually solve and not just talk about serious problems facing our citizens.
Join us for change. Together we can restore Illinois to our proud heritage of hard work, personal responsibility, entrepreneurship and respect for the inalienable rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.”
©2010 John Francis Biver